Monday, February 1, 2010

Great Marketing? Porter

Yesterday (Jan. 31), I booked a flight online with Porter Airlines. The offer allowed me to save 20% if I booked by Feb. 1 Today (Feb. 1), I was looking up an article on a Website and was served an ad for Porter, telling me I could take 20% off if I booked a flight by Feb. 1 (same offer I used the day before).

My thought process:

1. Great marketing because, knowing my behavior, they are serving up an ad that may be of interest to me with a very compelling offer.
2. Maybe not so great. I just booked a flight yesterday; why are they hitting me again so fast?
3. Yeah, it is great. The "book today" offer creates urgency. And since they know I use Porter, the urgency can prompt some action.

I know there are people out there that think it is "creepy" that "they" can monitor our Internet behavior. Frankly, we should be past that by now. I would rather have "them" send me compelling offers I am interested in than waste my time on something I am not interested in.

Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment