Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Political marketing - ugly or not really?

I better write this one now because the elections are today. So today everybody hates political ads, but tomorrow they will all be forgotten. So here are my thoughts.

1. I think political ads in general are terrible. They fall into one of two categories.
a. Attack the opposition. The worst I saw this year was an ad from Andy McKenna, a Republican seeking the nod to run for Governor of Illinois. I had the "pleasure" of seeing one of his ads today about six times while on the elliptical. All the ad did was blast one of his opponents for being a "backer" of Barack Obama. Not one constructive thought. This, by the way, does not necessarily reflect my political leanings. Just my marketing leanings.
b. Utter platitudes, like "cut spending" or "no new taxes" or "clean up government." Please - what do you take us for? Idiots?

2. To answer that last question, I think politicians do take us for idiots (or, at best, apathetic). And maybe they are right. My sense is, at least for higher offices, politicians do their research and understand what messages will resonate with voters. They believe that what attracts voters are simplicity, feel-good buzzwords and knocking the opposition. Rational arguments and facts just are not relevant.

So maybe the ads are not bad marketing. Maybe the problem is not the politician/brand, it is the target market. And as long as we as the customers of the brand are willing to accept the messages we are being fed, the brands have no reason to change the messaging.

So here are my thoughts on how to change this. And, yes, I realize there is no chance of this happening.

1. Ban political ads and direct mail.
2. Really put the onus on the media to educate on the issues, not just report on the latest bashing.
3. As part of the reporting process, report on how the candidates do on focusing on issues, as opposed to criticizing their opponents.

The problem with this, of course, is that it will only work if the public really will embrace this. People say they are disgusted with politicians and the political process, and they want change. But do they really?

What do you think?


2 comments:

  1. Will not miss the robo-calls, the daily mass of junk mailings, or the mindless campaign cliches. And you are absolutely correct about the McKenna ad that left me dumbfounded. Imagine-castigating your opponent because he's willing to work with or he has praise for the President. As for Scott Lee Cohen who I thought conducted a well managed media blitz, I'm guessing that, pre-campaign, he just referred to himself as Scott Cohen. Maybe I'm wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops...sounds like Scott Lee has a little problem to deal with.

    ReplyDelete